Playground Safety Surfaces and Safety Tips
Back-to-school season is upon us. Before the kids begin playing on your playground, ask yourself, is your playground as safe as it can be?
Roughly 80 percent of playground injuries are caused by falls. Our Playground Safety Mulch helps prevent injuries due to falls and other impacts.
There are numerous playground safety hazards you and your children should watch for:
- Protrusion hazards: Anything capable of cutting or catching items of clothing.
- Trip or fall hazards: Rocks or missing guardrails can lead to tripping or falling.
- General maintenance: Playgrounds that are well-maintained pose fewer risks. Playgrounds with rusty or broken equipment, neglected maintenance of grounds pose a higher risk of injury.
- Improper protective surfaces: Surfaces around, and beneath, equipment should ideally be covered with certified playground mulch. Any ground covering should meet the minimum depth and directional requirements around any equipment where a child may fall.
- Playground design: This should allow the adult supervising play to see children clearly at all times.
- Age-appropriate equipment and play: Older kids tend to push the boundaries on the playground which can lead to injuring smaller children. Also having an understanding of which playground equipment is age-appropriate will help ensure a child’s safety.
These are only a few of the tips our team of experienced professionals has to offer! In addition to these tips and best practices, Applied Mulch & Soil uses a fleet of Express Blower® trucks to quickly and efficiently install Playground Safety Surfaces! Contact Applied Mulch & Soil today to speak with one of our specialists about your Playground Safety Surface needs!